Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Minako Yoshida -- Midnight Driver


Although I have the above album "Let's Do It" and the 1981 "Monsters In Town" by Minako Yoshida(吉田美奈子), I have yet to purchase my own copy of the album in between those two, "Monochrome". I certainly know the cover of it, though. That come-hither look on Yoshida with her bare shoulders while a shadow drapes over the rest of her body.


Now, I've been given further impetus in trying to get "Monochrome" which was released in October 1980 as her 7th album. "Midnight Driver" is one of those songs that makes me miss Van Paugam's lamentably departed YouTube radio because it sounds so well-suited to go with that night driving video loop. Wouldn't it be even better to be in a car bombing down the Kan-Etsu around that hour with this playing on the radio?

Although I couldn't find out for sure, I'm still fairly confident that Yoshida wrote and composed this really funky tune anchored by that relentless beat. The singer is our congenial host as she takes on a drive through the megalopolis with her musicians as the accompanying passengers on the bus. I also love the drums near the last two minutes of "Midnight Driver". It's not fair to say at this point since I have yet to get "Monochrome" but I think this particular song is to this album as "TOWN" is to the aforementioned "Monsters In Town" and as the title track is to "Let's Do It".

7 comments:

  1. I would appreicate very much if you upload the lyrics of this wonderful song! I can't find anywhere else plz..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, citypoper234. I wish I could get the lyrics up as well but since I don't have "Monochrome" (yet) and it seems that the lyrics can't be found anywhere online, I'm afraid that I personally can't help out there. However, perhaps I can pose a Question to the readership at large since one of them may have the album.

      Delete
    2. Hello again.

      It looks like Daemonskald was able to find a magnified version of the lyrics from the liner notes from the album: https://ibb.co/9bmqSM5

      Delete
  2. I appreciate you remember me.. I'm from ROK and deeply into these old day citypop music, but can't find lyrics in online. So, I found this site to be last resort. Thanks a million for your music. Which site did you use to get the lyrics of the song? Hope I can pose other questions in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, citypoper234. No problems. Daemonskald and I were glad that we could help. Actually, Daemonskald probably uploaded a greatly magnified image of the original liner notes from the album to a site called https://imgbb.com

      If you have any other questions, let us know!

      Delete
    2. Thanks a million~ I've joined imgbb site but can't find magnified image yet. Hope you can help me find the liner note~

      Delete
    3. Good morning. All you have to do is cut and paste https://ibb.co/9bmqSM5 to the top of your browser and you should get to those lyrics immediately.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.