Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 12, 2019

Yuko Tomita -- Aoi Kaze(蒼い風)


Already have one Yuko Tomita(とみたゆう子)song represented here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" with "September Girl" (セプテンバー・ガール)which was her 2nd single from August 1981.


However, I have to admit that I'm liking this one by her even better. This is Tomita's 4th single from August 1982 titled "Aoi Kaze" (Blue Wind) which was also included on her 2nd album "DEUX" which came out earlier in July.

Starting off with some tinkly synthesizer reminiscent of Taeko Ohnuki(大貫妙子)and Akiko Yano(矢野顕子), compared with the 50s pop sensibility of "September Girl", "Aoi Kaze" has that introspective and inquisitive feeling that I've enjoyed with a number of these 1980s aidoru numbers over the decades. As I hinted in the first Tomita article, the singer-songwriter has that delivery and "Aoi Kaze" has that arrangement which would make me think of a very talented teenybopper chanteuse tackling this single, but as I also mentioned there, I don't think that she was ever marketed as anything but as a pop singer.

"DEUX" got as high as No. 48 and there's no idea how the single did, but my impression of Tomita is that she is one of those underrated singers that, regardless, has been able to garner her own dedicated cadre of fans. She's on my shopping list...once I find out how my income tax return turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.