Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Paradise Lunch -- Gun's & Roses/Makoto Yoshimori -- Nagai Nagai Yume no Naka no Utage(長い長い夢の中の宴)


I'd heard of this anime "Baccano!"(バッカーノ!)for years here and there but never got to see it, and I found out that it was based on a light novel. My anime buddy has largely soured on the quality of light novel adaptations into anime over the past number of years with him feeling that "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu"涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱...The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) was the peak of that genre targeting high school students around the mid-2000s, so he's never opined about "Baccano!".


Well, just by coincidence, the opening credits for "Baccano!" happened to fall into my YouTube recommendations yesterday so I took a look at them, and then I read up on the 2007 anime on Wikipedia and TV Tropes. From my impression, the light novel and subsequent TV series was a mix of "The Godfather" and "Highlander" with that overall sheen of one of those epic miniseries that used to be televised over a work week on the American networks during the 1970s and 1980s.

I don't think I will try to search for the entire series although I will ask my buddy about it next time I talk to him on the phone, but I gotta say that those opening credits do have that jazzy panache. The producers for "Baccano!" must have taken a page out of Yoko Kanno's(菅野よう子)"Tank!" and swung for that Big Band swing.


When I saw the title for the opening theme, "Gun's & Roses", I had automatically thought that it was the band Guns & Roses coming up with a rock tune. But as it turned out, it was the title of the song itself, performed by the all-female 9-piece jazz/rock band Paradise Lunch. I couldn't find out a whole lot about them but I recall over 15 years ago that thanks to a 2004 movie called "Swing Girls", there was a brief boom in Big Band jazz (strangely enough, I believe from this decade that it will be a century since The Jazz Age), and maybe Paradise Lunch was one result of the renewed interest; I recall seeing an all-female jazz band taking the stage on TV somewhere when I was still living in Ichikawa.

In any case, "Gun's & Roses", composed by pianist Akane Noguchi(野口茜), is quite the frenzied ride, perhaps along the lines of some of the crazy sequences in "Baccano!" itself (the title means ruckus in Italian) that I've read about. The song weaves in and out between the various players taking on the main theme like me on a tenderloin steak and some good ol' improvisation which is one vital ingredient in the genre. Let's just imagine a Battle of the Bands between Paradise Lunch and the Seatbelts!


There might actually be a Battle of the Themes, though, in my fragile mind. Pianist Makoto Yoshimori(吉森信)was responsible for the soundtrack for "Baccano!", and he came up with "Nagai Nagai Yume no Naka no Utage ~ Theme for 'Baccano!'" (Party in the Long, Long Dream). Sounding like a beefy challenge against "Gun's & Roses", "Nagai Nagai", as it would for a show that mostly takes place during Prohibition-age America, simply reeks of speakeasies and their stench of sweat, stogie smoke, alcohol, gunpowder and occasionally the odd splash of blood. And from around the 3:00 mark, it sounds as if one speakeasy had Eliot Ness and his Untouchables raiding the place with all of the subsequent chaos of gunfire, quick escapes and thrown punches. If the rest of the soundtrack is similar to both themes, then I gather that if I do catch an episode, I will be in for a lot of action on the level of "Indiana Jones" and Brian DePalma's "The Untouchables" with Al Capone's baseball bat reprimand on one unlucky lieutenant being fairly calm in comparison.

2 comments:

  1. Hello J-Canuck,

    I remember this anime back in the day. And yes, your anime buddy was right, the year 2006 was arguably the zenith of anime light-novel adaptions.

    I’m talking about adopting consistently good light-novels to the glut of so-so light novels that are being adapted even up to the present day.

    Baccano got good reviews both from the normal press and word of mouth.

    I tried to watch it but, if you’ve perused both the wiki and TVTropes it was, and still is, very “complicated.”

    I hung in there for a couple of episodes but just couldn’t get into it. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just that there are so many people and storylines that cross so many time periods that, without a roadmap, I had to tap out.

    They just had too much material to adapt into only 13 episodes. I think production of the show halted briefly and the last few episodes went DVD only?

    I’d like to know the answer you get from your friend about this series.

    That is if he watched it at all.

    Of course, the Baccano OP did get comparison’s to Yoko Kano’s “Cowboy BeBop.” I did like the soundtrack but not enough to own it. However, this was the good old days when you could get lost in anime OST land thanks to the now defunct Nipponsei.

    Remember, Youtube came into existence in 2006. Oh, how time flies…

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chasing Showa. Yep, it's amazing when YouTube first started up, it was all about just one's own home movies on the platform, and now it looks like it's become a stop to find out about all the good music over the decades as well. Not complaining whatsoever.:)

      I was also rather amazed that they tried to stuff "Baccano!" in merely one cour with all of those storylines. My buddy, for whatever reason, hates seeing subtitles on his anime so I've watched the stuff that he's shown me without them all these years. I couldn't imagine myself either being able to last 13 episodes of watching something as complicated as "Baccano!" without subtitles, although the music would have been fun to listen to.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.