Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Hitomi Yaida -- Kodoku na Cowboy(孤独なカウボーイ)

 

I recall hearing this song by pop/rock singer Hitomi Yaida(矢井田瞳)back in my Japan days, but I think that I appreciate it more now than then. Particularly, I like that intro in "Kodoku na Cowboy" (Lonely Cowboy) which makes me feel that I'm listening to a moody piano pop tune from the late 1960s going into the 1970s. Written and composed by Yaida as her 9th single in April 2003, her lyrics are more atmospheric than down-to-earth as she describes walking through the world all on her own where any place can serve as her home.

Hitting No. 9 on Oricon, "Kodoku na Cowboy" was used in commercials and TV programs, with the arguably most notable one being the 2003 NTV drama "Densetsu no Madame"(伝説のマダム...The Legendary Madame). Starring the one-of-a-kind Kaori Momoi(桃井かおり)as Mari Hatsushima, she runs the wedding dress shop "Madame Mari" whose creations have been able to impart true happiness upon those who wear them on their wedding day. I've never seen the show myself, but my impression is that it's got some "Fantasy Island" and "The Twilight Zone" vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.