Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Shogo Hamada -- I am a father

 

For everyone out there, Happy Father's Day! Hopefully all of you had some good times today with the old man whether it be through a good meal, a baseball game or a movie. My brother's family came on over last night and we shared some tasty fish n' chips, and this morning, I took my parents to the local diner and treated them to some breakfast.

To be honest, I wasn't sure whether I would find another father-themed kayo out there, but when I put the appropriate words into the search engine, immediately popped out "I am a father" by veteran rocker Shogo Hamada(浜田省吾). If I'm not mistaken, all of the KKP entries for Hamada are from some decades earlier, but his 36th single here was released in June 2005 (the day before Father's Day incidentally) and it was also included on his 16th album, "My First Love" which came out a month later.

Hamada is in fine fettle here with "I am a father". His lyrics are very self-effacing with them insisting that the guy is no Superman, superstar or any sort of hero, but he is indeed a father. However, the hard-charging music certainly paints the papa in a heroic light especially with all of his responsibilities as a working guy providing for the family. Katsu Hoshi(星勝)was responsible for the arrangement.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the official music video that starred Hamada's good friend and actor/singer Saburo Tokito(時任三郎), and I recall that he was once voted onto a Top 10 list of desirable father types. "I am a father" hit No. 5 on Oricon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.