Friday, July 31, 2026

Izumi Kobayashi & Flying Mimi Band -- My Beach Samba(マイ・ビーチ・サンバ)

 

Recently going over "Light Mellow ~ Beams", I've come across a few tracks on the compilation that I never thought to cover on the blog, so shame on me for that oversight.

One of those former neglected songs from "Beams" is Izumi Kobayashi(小林泉)& Flying Mimi Band's "My Beach Samba", originally from her March 1978 debut album "ORANGE SKY-Endless Summer". Written, composed and arranged by Kobayashi herself, it's a fun and perky and Latin jazzy City Pop number of the 1970s with inclusion of that decade's aural symbol of the genre...the keyboard haze effect. Speaking of keyboards, I think that is indeed Kobayashi just going crazy on her instrument near the end. Not to be outdone, I have to mention the saxophone and guitar solos, too.

PS. Well, it looks like my memory is failing me. I did write up something on the album proper back in 2019 and that also included my comments on "My Beach Samba". But hey, any song is worth another look.

1 comment:

  1. No worries mate! I do not mind at all that you are revisiting this album as I was not around the first you wrote about it. So, I am more than happy to have been introduced to "Izumi Kobayashi & Flying Mimi Band -- My Beach Samba"

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.