Thursday, September 24, 2026

SUPERCAR -- cream soda

 

Commenter Brian Mitchell was very kind in sending me some photos of Towada City in Aomori, the prefecture where he and his family have been living, so the above is one such shot. In return, I've decided to write an article about any music act that comes from that area.

After looking up Towada City in J-Wiki, I discovered that the 1990s-2000s band SUPERCAR had members who hailed from the area. And since I haven't posted anything by the group in several years, it is time to make amends. 

I mentioned in the first KKP article for SUPERCAR's "BGM" that though the band ended up as a technopop group of sorts, they had initially begun professional life as an alterative rock act. Their debut single from September 1997, "cream soda", shows that genre in spades. There's a lot of that indies feel in their crashing and rocking but vocalist Koji Nakamura's(中村弘二)own creamy voice has a nice tempering effect in a way that seems to sound like "Hey, I know it's noisy out there but follow me, and you'll be all right.".


A couple of trivia tidbits that I got from the J-Wiki article for "cream soda" is that the yellow car used in the video was borrowed from bespectacled comedian George Tokoro(所ジョージ). Plus, the single cover has an illustration of a car that was created by Italian automotive designer Giorgetto Giugiaro. SUPERCAR must have had some pretty super connections!

From Yahoo Auctions

1 comment:

  1. We are always happy when singers and groups from Aomori are covered on this blog. Yeah, SUPERCAR is one of those groups that went through changes in style, genre, or evolved, much like Perfume. Maybe not a shocking as Perfume's metamorphosis?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.