Monday, July 20, 2026

Shozo Ise -- Omoide ga Tsukinai Yoru(想い出がつきない夜)

Big Dipper Asterism by NOIRLab
via Wikimedia Commons

 

For all those very dedicated "Kayo Kyoku Plus" readers and fans of singer-songwriter Shozo Ise(伊勢正三)in general, it's probably quite well known that Ise has had appendages in both the folk and City Pop fields. I've often written on his urban contemporary material including "Heart Beat" which was the topic of the most recent article that I wrote about him back in January.

Well, this time around, I'm swerving back to his folk roots via his song "Omoide ga Tsukinai Yoru" (A Night of Endless Memories) which was not only his first single from April 1980, but also a track on his debut album "Hokuto Shichisei"(北斗七星...The Big Dipper) which hit the record store shelves on the same day as that single. It's quite the folksy tune, written and composed by Ise, albeit with a richer sheen of sophistication in the arrangement. Maybe this could have been a transitional song for him from folk to City Pop. I also have to admire the song being played with the backdrop of a sky-view Tokyo at night, thanks to uploader Taka Kash. Would be interested in hearing what the rest of "Hokuto Shichisei" sounds like.

1 comment:

  1. This song is a whole lot more relaxing than the similarly named 北斗の拳 manga that came out about three years after this song. I guess this song would be a good fit for the much more positive 22nd successor to Hokuto Shinken 霞拳四郎 or 62nd successor to Hokuto Shinken 霞拳志郎 rather than the much more serious 64th Successor of Hokuto Shinken ケンシロウ.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.