Maybe it says something about veteran folk singer-songwriter Kosetsu Minami's(南こうせつ)April 1990 single "Ano Hi no Sora yo" (The Sky on That Day) that I could only find concert footage on YouTube rather than the original recorded version.
I also heard it for the first time on a recent episode of "Uta Con"(うたコン)which is why I'm writing about it now. Written and composed by Minami with Shozo Ise(伊勢正三)co-writing the lyrics, I had thought that his summery paean to almighty love had been created back in the 1970s so it was with some surprise that I discovered its emergence to fans happened a couple of decades later. But it goes to show that Minami has made some wonderfully timeless singalong music since he debuted over fifty years ago.
J-Canuck I enjoyed today's post! I can completely understand why you thought「あの日の空よ」was a song from the ’70s — there’s something about it that feels as though it has always been part of that era of Japanese folk music. Finding out it was actually released in 1990 makes your point about Kōsetsu’s music being timeless especially apt. A lovely song, and a nice discovery.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Brian. Those timeless songs are incredible, aren't they? Great for the concert finale!
Delete