Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Cibo Matto -- 10th Floor Ghost Girl


Kinda like how I first heard about Taeko Ohnuki(大貫妙子)for years and years before I did anything about it (like actually tracking down and listening to her songs), the duo Cibo Matto had also been wafting in my head through the little news that I could get wind of while living in Japan. Basically, all I knew back then was that they were based in New York City and Sean Lennon (son of John) had once contributed his time and energy to their work.


Well, I finally found out that the duo consisted of Yuka Honda(本田ゆか)and Miho Hatori(羽鳥美保), and that Cibo Matto had two stints, the earlier one lasting between 1994 and 2002 and the second one between 2011 and 2017 (although the J-Wiki article on them has them ongoing since 2011). Lennon's time with them was from 1997 to 2002. According to the article as well, Cibo Matto tackled trip hop, alternative pop, art pop, Shibuya-kei and hip hop.

I dipped into their discography and tried out "10th Floor Ghost Girl" from their February 2014 album, "Hotel Valentine". Immediately, I was entranced by the percussion, the bass, Hatori's vocals, the refrain, and just that arrangement for the entire song which I couldn't provide a particular genre to. There is that need to put on a music sommelier's hat and make those observations such as "Was that funk in there?", "Did I pick up on some New Wave?" and "Indeed, is this art pop?". I certainly don't think it was Shibuya-kei.


"10th Floor Ghost Girl" comes across as a story which might take place in some old brownstone apartment in The Big Apple one weeknight. One long-time resident who doesn't go out too often suddenly notices a mystery woman with plenty of atmosphere move in down the hall with the dead light bulb that hasn't been replaced in months. He would like to get to know her ("Welcome to the neighbourhood. Would you like some pie?") but not sure if he's playing with fire.

The album "Hotel Valentine" was produced at Lennon's own Chimera Music, so the connection between him and the duo was still there, and "10th Floor Ghost Girl" is a pretty fun start for me when it comes to the start of the Cibo Matto file. Considering that the album is the final one released by them, there may be fans reading this who might be saying that "Oh, their earlier stuff is even better!". If that is indeed the case, please give me some recommendations.

1 comment:

  1. I see that, haha . i would like you to listen this Cliff Richard's song. well, it's a very retro song than 80s retro.. so , i'm a retro person likes to being myself listen the mid 60s also and including 70s. our singers in Malaysia and Singapore had been cover these Japanese songs while i don't ever recognized it. so you only had this and you don't have Facebook to contact, just curious. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.