Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Hiromi Go -- Mikansei(未完成)

 

When I first saw the title for this Hiromi Go(郷ひろみ)single, I assumed that it read "Miseinen"(未成年) or "Underage". Of course, that set off a few alarm bells in my head. Uh, Hiromi...um...😨 But my bad here. Actually, the title is "Mikansei" (Unfinished), so I relaxed.

But there is a bit of salaciousness here as well since this time it involves a young guy tempted to sow his oats falling for an older woman although from my current vantage point of age, she's still much more youthful than I am. From the looks of the lyrics and the title, though, it looks like the femme fatale is more than willing to give the poor lad the brush off. Dang it all, just not ready for the prime time. "Mikansei" was Go's 37th single from February 1981 and it was written by Yoko Aki(阿木燿子), composed by Kazuya Amikura(網倉一也)and arranged by Mitsuo Hagita(萩田光雄).

According to the J-Wiki article on "Mikansei", Tsunaki Mihara(三原綱木), formerly of Jackey Yoshikawa and His Blue Comets(ジャッキー吉川とブルー・コメッツ), provided the jangly guitar and the chorus to give things that Group Sounds sound since it was felt that the genre was making a comeback at the time. To be honest though when I heard "Mikansei", I thought that it was an interesting inclusion of a country-style guitar. The song hit No. 13 on Oricon and ended the year as the 94th-ranked single of the year. Go's following single was the bigger hit "Oyome Samba"(お嫁サンバ).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.