Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Noelle's Summer Playlist (夏のうた)

Since we are dead in the middle of summer, I'd like to share some songs that represent the hottest season of the year to me. They may not necessarily be summer-themed, but they are summer in atmosphere and spirit, or they simply remind me of summer. 

This is a brain-off piece with simple comments rather than proper introductions of the songs. Most of the selection here already have their own entries, so if you'd like to know more about them, feel free to have a look. The idea is just to let you guys enjoy the songs with an unhinged comment or two on the side.

Since I've been talking about songs from the 1930s to the 1960s recently, perhaps some tunes here may come as a surprise as refreshing as a lemon soda on a 36 degree Celsius day. So, let's begin with those first.

class -- Natsu no Hi no 1993 (夏の日の1993) (1993)


I've been listening to this one a lot recently. It's the melody that gets me.

THE JAYWALK -- Nani mo Ienakute... Natsu (何も言えなくて…夏) (1991)


This song will always have a special place in my heart. While its cool vibe fits summer perfectly, I can listen to this in any season of the year.

Original Love -- Sunshine Romance (1993)


I actually discovered this via KKP, so I'll have to thank J-Canuck for this. I think, more than a fun summery tune, this is a bop that just lifts my mood in general.


Perhaps I just so happen to like summer releases from the 1990s, but my "90s J-Pop" playlist tends to get more attention between June and August. Those three tunes, in particular, are my go-tos. Anyways, shall we move on to our usual suspects?

Tadaharu Nakano (中野忠晴) -- Kougen no Uta (高原の唄) (1932)
 

Ever since J-Canuck mentioned the idea of Mr. Nakano in lederhosen going on a mountain hike in relation this this song, that image has been burned into my mind's eye. I honestly cannot tell you if I like that image or not. It could be kinda hot like Saitama right now, but also lederhosen. I don't think I can handle seeing his legs. Not that I don't want to. Just not like this.( *`ω´)

Akira Matsudaira (松平晃) -- Minato Hanarete (港はなれて) (1933)

Mountains are a good respite from the heat, but so is the sea, so we have this breezy sailor ditty by Akira-san

One of the funniest things my friend, Ms. C, has added to the not-necessarily-canon lore behind my beloved fellas is that Akira-san is ditzy and jolly in a "head empty" sort of way, but that's what makes him adorable (she got that impression from some snapshots I shared early on). Honestly, the more I find out more about him and dig up photos of him, I can't help but agree, and it's in "Minato Hanarete" where he sounds exactly like that.

Bin Uehara (上原敏) -- Oya Koi Dochu (親恋道中) (1939)

Summer will now always remind me of Bin-san because of his death anniversary (29th July) and birthday (August 26th), as well as the memories of heading all the way up to his hometown of Odate, Akita, to pay tribute to him. Twice. Yes, I visited him this year too, and even met up with the lovely Uehara Bin Tsudoi (上原敏集い... Uehara Bin Get-Together). Also, somehow summer makes me feel like cranking up the matatabi mono. The tune that brings those two things together is "Oya Koi Dochu."

Haruo Minami (三波春夫) -- Ondo Ondo (温度音頭) (1980)


Summer also equals bon odori equals ondo, so, of course, we need our ondo ambassador, Haru-san. The temperatures have been sky high in Kanto and it is pain, yet I find it amusing in an ironic way when Haru-san happily goes, "Kyou wa seiten yokatta ne" (Isn't it great that it's a clear day?(°▽°)) Maa, ne. 

Yoshio Tabata (田端義夫) -- Amami Erejii (奄美エレジー) (1964)

Osu! Summer equals matatabi mono, equals ondo, equals sea, equals shima-uta. Therefore, we also have Batayan with a laidback Amami Oshima ballad.

Katsuhiko Haida (灰田勝彦) -- Jawa no Mango Uri (ジャワのマンゴ売り) (1942)


From a sub-tropical island, we head to a tropical one. I found that "Jawa no Mango Uri" actually has three versions: The original duet from 1942, Hai-Katsu's immediate postwar solo, and another solo likely re-recorded around the 60s or early 70s. I have gone with the latter because its slower, more grandiose arrangement and Hai-Katsu's languid delivery. It screams island paradise.

Also, today happens to be Hai-Katsu's birthday (20th August)! Happy 113th!・:*+.\( °ω° )/.:+

Hachiro Kasuga (春日八郎) -- Kiso wa Koishiya (木曽は恋しや) (1960) 


I just want to see Hachi dance to this. Is that too much to ask for?

From Mikasa, Issue 38

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Noelle. I'm sure that a lot of folks over there are screaming because they're getting a little too much summer heat. Over here, it's been the same except that we're not getting enough of it. It's ended up being the wettest summer on record in our province and we woke up this morning to 14 degrees.

    I do like your list since you've combined the new and the old. Yup, "Sunshine Romance" is a favourite of mine. After listening to Akira Matsudaira's "Minato Hanarete" and reading your description, I could imagine him being an early Showa Era Mr. Bean ambling happily down the boardwalk.

    Along with the summer being associated with festivals and scary stories in Japan, I think it can also fit with some of the old kayo kyoku partially because of the minyo that's played at the festivals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J-Canuck.

      14 degrees in summer sounds unthinkable(ly wonderful). I think it's getting ever so slightly more bearable, but the heat's still pretty intense. And the typhoon-grade thunderstorms have been terrifying. I forgot to close my windows one time, and I came home to a newly-formed river in my apartment. Thankfully, my appliances and furniture were fine.

      HA! I've read that Akira-san was quite a jolly and funny fellow, but the early Showa Mr. Bean analogy cracks me up.

      Now that you've mentioned scary stories and festivals, the Rhythm Boys' "Yurei wa Odoru," "Kappore," or "O-Edo Nipponbashi" would also have been quite a good fit for the Japanese summer too.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I was watching the rains cascading onto the Kanto area this morning on NHK. It's pretty crazy over there although our province of Ontario has gone through the wettest summer in our history. I'm hoping that the usual summer festivals in Japan can still take place.

      Yeah, if any of those songs are ones that you have yet to cover, please feel free to do so. I see that you've got another Bin Uehara on the way, so looking forward to that article.

      Delete
    3. Hopefully the rain hasn't caused any major issues over in Toronto. From what I've been seeing, the festivals and bon odoris have been going under way anyways, at least in Tokyo. I guess the rain ain't stopping the folks from having a good time.

      Yup, I'm doing a post about my meeting with Bin-san's fan club, but I'm saving that for Bin-san's birthday. :D
      In the mean time, I might do another post talking about another interesting development I've encountered very recently, and it's also got to do with fan clubs.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.