Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Mariko Takahashi -- Grandpa(グランパ)

 

In a recent article, I mentioned that I had been able to see Junko Ohashi(大橋純子)for the first time on "Uta Con"(うたコン)which thrilled and reassured me at the same time since I'd been worried for her since that cancer diagnosis some years back. For that same reason, I'm also hoping for the best with another wonderful singer Mariko Takahashi(高橋真梨子)who was one of the first Japanese pop chanteuses that I fell for back in the 1980s. I haven't seen any announcement of any sickness in her case but I remember watching a televised performance a few years ago and unfortunately she seemed frail in both body and voice at that time.

Allow me then to introduce this lovely hopeful song by Takahashi which first showed up in her October 1988 14th album "Eternally". "Grandpa", which was written by the singer and composed as a bouncy and breezy pop tune with a light AOR touch by Hiroshi Ohtaguro(大田黒裕司), is the tale of a young lady who's run off from her boyfriend after a fight. She then meets an old veteran who reminds me of Santa Claus through Mariko's description, and then he proceeds to give some sage advice and reassurances after which the lass goes back to her beau to mend fences.

"Grandpa" is a hopeful song that for some reason had me thinking that if this had been made into a movie, it would have been ideally set in San Francisco. There's something about the arrangement that has me thinking about the Pacific coastline, the Golden Gate Bridge and the undulating cityscape. In any case, seeing that Takahashi has a full schedule on her website is a good sign that perhaps it was just that one night on television where she wasn't at her best and she's back at it in hale and hearty health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.