Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 18, 2024

Eri Ohno -- So Tonight

 

A few days ago, I had someone contact me about whether I knew about or even had a digital copy of "Who are You?", a smoky jazz ballad by Eri Ohno(大野えり). It was used for the 1988 Toyota Chaser ad that you can see above. However, I had to tell that person that unfortunately I don't own any album by Ohno and that though a vinyl copy of the song exists on some sites, there was nothing digital.

During my search though, I was able to encounter this lovely song by Ohno who had been into her City Pop phase in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It's actually the final track on her October 1981 album "Good Question", and "So Tonight" is a nice way to finish things off as if the listener would be heading on out for a great night out on the town. Written by Ohno and composed by Toshiyuki Daitoku(大徳俊幸), it's some pleasant mid-range funk with an intro that I couldn't help but be reminded of the intros for many a newscast in those 1980s. But if you like "So Tonight", then you can give its track mate on "Good Question" a go, "Skyfire".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.