Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Hachiro Kasuga in One Word (春日八郎のイメージを漢字一文字で表す)

From "Mikasa"

I was flipping through one of the recent Hachiro Kasuga posthumous fan club (全国春日八郎偲ぶ会… Zenkoku Kasuga Hachiro Shinobu Kai) magazines when I came across a rather interesting column: Kasuga Hachiro no Imēji wo Kanji Hito-moji de Arawasu. This survey asks its members to dig deep into their love for dear Kasuga Sensei and transform that love into a single kanji character. It’s supposed to be a fun little take on the annual Japanese (?) tradition of picking a kanji character that best represents the year as it comes to a close.

The results, drawn from 86 votes, were fascinating. Considering his status as the top of the enka world, it didn’t come as a surprise for the man said to be enka himself to described with “艶” and “演”, both in first and third place respectively. Sharing third place with “演” was “心”, “情”, “美” and “粋”. However, I was quite surprised to see second place as “誠”. While it can mean “truth”, it can also mean “sincerity”. Considering Hachi’s dedication to his craft and closeness to his fans, I can understand why it was chosen.

This got me thinking: What does Hachiro Kasuga (春日八郎) mean to me and how would I describe him in a single word? I wracked simple brain to come up with something, but it came up with too many. Hachi means a lot to me, so I'm unable to reduce that into a singular word. But I’ve managed to narrow it down to three, and I would like to share them here together with some songs that encompass their meanings. I thought it'd be a good way to commemorate his death anniversary, which falls on 22nd October. Today would mark 33 years since he left mortal coil.

From "Shinobu"

A few of the songs that appeared on my updated favourites list contributed to my choice of kanji, but since I’ve already talked about them, I will feature other songs that missed out on the Top 10 (this time around) here.

慰: Uramachi Yakyoku (裏町夜曲) (1954)

Nakazu ni okure to ii nagara (Please don't cry, I say)
Itsuka oira mo naiteita (As I, at some point, also begin to cry)

Comfort when I hit some of my roughest patches. Among the singers I love, Hachi's gentle vocals come across as the most empathetic, and sometimes that's exactly what you need to feel better.

援: Kore ga Jinsei (これが人生) (1964)


Doko de nani shite kurasou to (Whatever you do and where ever you go)
Ame wa furu furu haru wa kuru (The rain will fall and fall, spring will come)
Seku na isogu na ningen wa (Don't hurry, don't rush. Us, people)
Ikiteiru ucha shinu monoka (Don't live just to die)

Encouragement to propel me forward, reminding me that the bad times won't last. Encouragement to do my best, but also reminding me to take it easy sometimes.

夢: Ashita no Tame ni (明日のために) (1969)

Omae ga nakushita shiawase wa (The happiness you've lost)
Kono te de kitto torikaesu (Will be returned by these hands)
Motto sugare yo tsumetai yubi da (Hang on a little more, those cold fingers)
Ore no makoto de atatamete (Will be warmed by my sincerity)
Ni do to nakaseru ni do to nakaseru ashita ni shinai (I won't make a tomorrow that'll make you cry again)

My dream was to study my favourite singer. By divine power, that dream became a reality, but it wasn't without it's challenges. At a very early stage, I didn't think it was even possible and actually wanted to give up and do my thesis on something else. But then, I remembered that the whole reason I chose academia was to bring the singer, Hachiro Kasuga into the spotlight for more to see and appreciate. More than a year later, it's finally coming together. I've joked that Hachi being my main study subject gives me almost no respite from him. But it's also exactly because it's Hachi, so I'm able to trudge forward in my research endeavors and do things I didn't think I was capable of.



八: Naa Hacchan (なァ八っちゃん) (1962)

At the end of the day, everyone has their own way of perceiving Hachiro Kasuga. Like many others, the few kanji I picked leaned towards seeing the singer as a source of encouragement, but also the reason why I chose the path I'm on right now. Others see him as the embodiment of enka, or a father figure. Or, maybe, all of the above. Whatever it is, he will be everyone's Hacchan, Kasuga Sensei, and Hachi. 

Sore de iin da. Naa, Hacchan  (That's also fine. Hey, Hacchan)
Hoshi ni mo kikasete utaou ka (Let's sing for the the stars to hear too)

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Noelle. And thank you for a very fascinating way to approach your hero. Your choices of Kasuga songs very well reflect the kanji that you have used. If I were to use my own kanji to describe the man, it would be 「叔」"shuku" for "uncle" especially after listening to "Uramachi Yakyoku" and "Kore ga Jinsei". I don't especially expect a Showa Era father to be that warmhearted and cordial because, well, he is a Showa Era father, but an uncle can be in that position.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.