Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Meiko Nakahara -- Gemini



If I'm not mistaken, one of JTM's first profiles was on Naomi Kawashima's "Gemini" back in February. Strangely enough, last week I was riffing through my CD collection when I came across this very brief (barely 30 minutes) compilation disc called "Japanese Pops Refrain Vol. 9" that I'd bought back in the 90s which contained Meiko Nakahara's(中原めいこ)original take.

Nakahara wrote and composed this enjoyable City Pop tune that sounds like something Melissa Manchester or Christopher Cross would have tackled. And there is this hint of Alicia Bridges' classic disco anthem, "I Love The Nightlife" in the melody. And sure enough, Nakahara's lyrics talk of flirting with that guy on the dance floor by the name of Gemini (perhaps his sign or he was an 80s counterespionage agent). Released as the B-side to her 2nd single, "Go Away" in November 1982, "Gemini" has that fun-loving feel of nighttime urban hedonism. This was years before Julianas or Velfarre. Back then, it was probably The Lexington Queen in Roppongi. Man, what were those nights like there during the Japanese Economic Miracle?

And for all those disco fans, here is "I Love The Nightlife".




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.