Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Shizuka Kudo -- Kindan no Telepathy (禁断のテレパシー)


Being just a casual fan of Shizuka Kudo(工藤静香), I didn't know the title for this song nor where it stood in her discography. However, I did remember it for the opening words: a breathless repetition of "Tell me why", and then some pretty intense synth string activity. I would never have pegged it as Kudo's actual debut song; it just seemed a little too muscular for a launch tune for an aidoru. I thought it was something that happened much later in her solo career, and that Kudo started that career off with the usual sweet little ditty.

But then again, Kudo would later take on that image of a kickass aidoru with the huge mounds of hair, stark makeup and the bright dresses, so perhaps "Kindan no Telepathy"(Forbidden Telepathy) was prescient or the people behind her career were. Strangely enough, though, the cover of the single showed a rather different visage of a girl in shorter, darker hair and with a bit more baby fat in those cheeks. The lyrics by Yasushi Akimoto(秋元康), about a woman who's trying to recover from a sudden breakup, should probably hint at some sort of love ballad, but Tsugutoshi Goto's(後藤次利) dramatic melody keeps the words closer to a suspense-thriller (almost kinda like the editing genius on YouTube who manipulated scenes from Tom Hanks' romantic dramedy "Sleepless In Seattle" into a trailer for a dangerous stalker going after Hanks).


"Kindan no Telepathy" was released in August 1987, and reached the top spot on Oricon. It would become the 59th-ranked song of the year, selling 145,000 copies. It was also a track on Kudo's first album, "Mysterious" which was released in January 1988 and peaked at No. 3. It eventually became the 40th-ranked album of that year.

6 comments:

  1. "Kindan no Telepathy" is one of Shizuka's finest singles. I like it a lot, as it was the song that made me pay some attention to her.

    Actually, I discovered "Kindan no Telepathy" through a cover made by Nana Katade in 2004. In the first place I liked the cover version a lot, but after hearing Shizuka's original arrangement, full of 80s synth extravaganza, I realized that it could not be surpassed so easily.

    And I agree with you that Shizuka kinda portrayed a more powerful aidoru image. Her songs at the time were also in this vein as most of them were very funky and synth-driven. Some great examples are "Arashi no Sugao" and "Kousa ni Fukarete", both from 1989.

    And to think that Kimutaku was just a rookie aidoru when his future wife was already dominating the charts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marcos.

      Yeah, it was quite the entrance for her, I thought, and perhaps it set the template for her repertoire. Miyuki Nakajima had always been known for her feisty defiant songs, so it was no surprise that she wrote a number of Kudo's tunes.

      The one piece of trivia about her that I found out the hard way was that she has the ability to stretch out her facial skin to somewhat abnormal levels. I'm sure her hubby may have asked her not to do that in front of the kids.

      Delete
  2. thank you for posing this
    I am a fan of her , I think she have a beautiful voice and some great songs to , this is one of my favorite song
    I strongly think that these kind of songs really suits her the best, she is not the cute type , I mean not like chisato moritaka or nakayama miho but shes better than them
    or at least I think that . anyway please do write more about her I would like to read that
    thank you agine your amusing keep going bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, nouf-m-m. And thanks for your comments. Yeah, I don't know if it was because of the types of songs she sang or if the rumours were actually true, but Shizuka garnered a reputation for being a bit of a suffer-no-fools-gladly punk. Not that I think she is that now...she's most likely somewhat mellower going into middle age.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this. Seeing her attire in the vids and her attitude, she suddenly reminded me of Misato from the anime series Evangelion. Who knows, maybe they did base Misato's wardrobe on Shizuka's look. hah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Otakitty.

      Always a pleasure. I never got to see "Evangelion" but a number of my anime buddies did. It was quite the intense experience, I hear. I do love the theme song, though.

      Wonderful site you have there.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.