Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

KMM Dan -- Witch Activity (ウィッチ☆アクティビティ)




Not too long ago, I wrote on Yasuyuki Okamura's(岡村靖幸)funky little number, "Viva Namida", the opening theme for "Space Dandy"...one of the number of anime that I've been watching since the beginning of the new year. Well, during the same showing, I was also witness to another anime by the title of "Witchcraft Works" which seems to have become the big hit of the season.

As I did with "Space Dandy", I will also give my brief fractured description of "Witchcraft Works" through comparison with examples of old TV programs and movies. The show seems to be a mix of "Terminator", "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie" with some pretty nifty special effects. However, as much as I have enjoyed the first few episodes featuring the adventures of Honoka and Ayaka, my ears and brain pricked up at the very end of the episodes when this Ceti Alpha Eel of an ending theme managed to burrow deep into my brain where it still resides.

This would be "Witch Activity" by KMM Dan(KMM団...The KMM Group), the coven of teenage witches which has so far antagonized our aforementioned heroes with all manners of hocus pocus, giant bears and bunnies. And I think the coven is having better success breaking the fourth wall and ripping us anime fans down to size with this earworm than getting at Ayaka the witch. The technopop unit TECHNOBOYS PULCRAFT GREEN-FUND was responsible for unleashing this infectious melody. The unit itself was formed all the way back in 1995, but with their first album, "music laundering" coming out over a decade later in 2006.




The music alone should be investigated by the CDC, but what got me at "Hello" was the staccato opening by the KMM girls (voiced by their respective seiyuu) themselves. With the music and the vocals, I didn't stand a chance. I ended up listening to the YouTube video for the ending credits of "Witchcraft Works" a few times after getting home from my anime buddy's place that night, and then a few more times after that until the official single was finally released a few days ago, and a Good Samaritan uploaded the song onto YouTube. Frankly, I don't think the full version of "Witchcraft Activity" actually adds any further audio Valhalla than what I have already heard through the credits, but it's early days.

From CD Japan

Now, when you check out the photo above for the single, you will see the cover in which the KMM Dan is positioned eerily like the famed German techno band, Kraftwerk, for "The Man-Machine". My anime buddy also pointed out that "Witch Activity" also sounded like the band's "Radioactivity".


Well, I'm not quite sure about that....perhaps if the melody for "Radioactivity" were sped up? But in any case, I did enjoy seeing the parody cover.


4 comments:

  1. Witch Kraftwerks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J-Canuck.

    "Witch Activity" kind of reminded me of some early Techno-Kayo songs from the 80s in edginess and arrangement. I ended liking it a lot, especially because of its liveliness.

    Thanks for the post. This song will be stuck in my mind for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marcos.

      Always a pleasure to "infect" a fellow fan. Just make sure you're not driving a car while listening to it. Considering all of the connections to Kraftwerk (who helped inspire YMO to an extent), I wonder if "Witch Activity" couldn't be a techno-kayo song in spirit.

      Delete
    2. I'm listening to this thing non-stop. The b-side of the single is also very good. And I don't drive, so it's not a risk for me. But I'll listen "Witch Activity" a lot in the travel bus on friday.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.