Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

SEAGULL SCREAMING KISS HER KISS HER -- Double Life


The temperature may be in double digits for the first time in several days, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Pretty chilly out there and I've shut the window in my room for it.

Anyways, there was a little promotional film made in 1965 for Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" which I've wondered whether it would be considered to be one of the very first music videos ever made. I'd thought that the clip for Billy Joel's "Piano Man" was perhaps the first of its type, but then I caught the one for Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'" and that was released back in 1966.


According to the Wikipedia article for "Subterranean Homesick Blues", a lot of other musicians in the decades since have emulated the video. One that I remember well is the video for "Mediate" by INXS which came right after "Need You Tonight".


The list didn't include it, but the rock band SEAGULL SCREAMING KISS HER KISS HER had vocalist Aiha Higurashi(日暮愛葉)putting her own clever twist on Dylan's video via her song "Double Life". The track was included on the band's 3rd album "17" from September 1998, and this time, it isn't the throwing of placards but the doffing of T-shirts. Looks like there was a pretty intense relationship going on considering some of the pictorial T's near the end. I do hope that Higurashi was at least able to keep the shirts.

One of the commenters for the YouTube video pointed out the way that Higurashi was sitting...in a rather frog-like style. To be honest, when I was much younger, I used to sit that way when I sat on floors. I really don't think that I can do that now but then again, I haven't sat on a floor in many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.