Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Eri Kojima -- One

 

It's been over eight years since the untimely demise of Eri Kojima(小島恵理)in February 2015 at the age of 53. I've always remembered her for "Lonely Feeling" which was a song that I had first heard as a Vaporwave or Future Funk adaptation before I realized that the original was the B-side to her 1984 debut single. My discovery of it was just on the cusp of the explosion of City Pop onto the world.

At this point, I don't know how many singles and albums Kojima released in her career but she did keep on going into the 2010s. She put forth a 2012 album called "Nostalgia" and on it, there is the wistful "One". I couldn't find out who was behind the songwriting but it's a slow and lovely contemporary pop ballad which perhaps reflects that album title. It feels like a song of looking back on one's history and considering how short her life ended up only a few years later, "One" takes on a bit more gravitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.