Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Matsuko Mawatari -- Hohoemi no Bakudan(微笑みの爆弾)/Homework ga Owaranai(ホームワークが終わらない)

 

I'll be honest here and say that though I've heard the title "YuYu Hakusho"(幽☆遊☆白書)for years, I have never seen a single episode of the anime adaptation of the original manga which began in 1990. The only connection that I've ever had is my university friend wearing a T-shirt with the characters. As I would later find out, it's all about a teen rebel getting killed off and then turned into an underworld detective.

Mind you, the very first opening and closing themes for the Fuji-TV anime have been fun to listen to. Both were recorded by singer-songwriter Matsuko Mawatari(馬渡松子)who hails from Miyazaki Prefecture. Her 2nd single from November 1992 just happens to carry those first opening and closing themes, "Hohoemi no Bakudan" (Smile Bomb) and "Homework ga Owaranai" (Homework Never Ends) respectively. 

"Hohoemi no Bakudan" is quite the snappy opener that has enough of an urban beat that I could describe it as a City Pop tune of the 1990s. Written by Lee Shauron(リーシャウロン)and composed/arranged by Mawatari, I could also see the song belonging to the "City Hunter" series of cool songs. It made its album debut on her second release "nice unbalance" from April 1993; the album ranked in at No. 66.


Shauron and Mawatari keep the "bright lights, big city" approach with the coupling song and first ending theme for "YuYu Hakusho" with "Homework ga Owaranai". There's a little bit of House influence here but it's still about grooving down the avenue in a sports car with this one, too. Interestingly enough, "Homework ga Owaranai" had originally been included in Mawatari's debut album "Aitashi Gakunari Gatashi"(逢いたし学なりがたし)from June 1992, several months before being included with "Hohoemi no Bakudan". Her first album peaked at No. 74. Not sure how that title is translated, though, so if any you can help me out on that one, I'll be a grateful person.

1 comment:

  1. Looking at Google translate, her album translates to "How I Met You."

    As someone who grew up watching the show, these songs are classics to me and the first things I think about whenever I think about early 90's anime and J-pop. She did other songs for the show that are just as good.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.