Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Ira Newborn -- Theme from "SCTV"

 

I did forget that it's a KKP tradition (or my own tradition on KKP) that I put up a special ROY article during a national holiday. Seeing that it is Canada Day, we can try for some Canadian content and so I'd like to introduce one of the best television products that my country has ever given out: the beloved and hilarious "SCTV". Standing for Second City TV for the famous improvisational comedy troupe that has roots in both Chicago and Toronto (we just lost Alan Arkin, one of the most famous graduates from Second City...all my condolences), the show had a run for several years lasting from the mid-1970s into the early 1980s as it jumped from channel to channel.

Last Canada Day when I was providing the ROY article there, I used Geddy Lee's "Take Off", the theme song for one of the show's most famous segments "Great White North"

Of course, one of many fans' favourite parodies was for Perry Como's "Still Alive" concert tour. For those who may not know him, Como was a singer who was known for his very relaxed approach to performances, and well, "SCTV" expanded on that a hundredfold. I remember at the Emmy Awards when the singer was actually giving out the award for Best Writing for a Variety or Music Program for which the show was nominated, and the excerpt they showed on the screen was "Still Alive". I don't think I've ever seen an entire audience laugh up their guts like that; Alan Alda needed oxygen badly.

Considering all of the changes in production locations, channels and formats, perhaps it isn't a surprise that the theme song for "SCTV" also switched quite a few times. There were two that I remember which were basically zany comedy-themed instrumentals. However for the 1981 season at least, composer Ira Newborn whipped up my favourite theme which is just known as the theme from "SCTV". It wasn't goofy in the least but a really cool AOR instrumental (it's not surprising then that Newborn also became the musical director for the Manhattan Transfer since they were also performing some kakkoii urban contemporary at the time). I'm only disappointed that the theme doesn't have a full official version.

So, which songs were at the top of the May 1981 charts? I only choose this particular month because American network NBC picked up "SCTV" then as a 90-minute show to be broadcast late at night after "The Tonight Show".

1. Akira Terao -- Ruby no Yubiwa (ルビーの指輪)


2. Seiko Matsuda -- Natsu no Tobira(夏の扉)


4. Chiharu Matsuyama -- Nagai Yoru(長い夜)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.