Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, October 9, 2023

Hakucho-za -- Himekuri(日めくり)

Warwick Publishing


I know that the daily pad calendars exist everywhere on Earth but since I first saw them in Japan when I went there in 1972, they've been imprinted upon me as a part of Japanese décor. If I'm not mistaken, there was one in my grandparents' house in Wakayama Prefecture. However, I've never used them in my home either here or in Japan because I needed to have calendars with plenty of space for me to write down scheduled events.

Well, I've got one of the most wistful songs ever made in the kayo kyoku era. "Himekuri" (Daily Pad Calendar) was the B-side to Hakucho-za's(白鳥座)June 1981 debut single "Kamome"(かもめ...Seagull) and it was written and composed by band member Yutaka Takahira(高比良豊). Using the concept of ripping off each sheet as the days come and go, it's an allegory for a couple who lived day-by-day in their own humble little abode until the time arrived that they had to finally break up for whatever reason. It seems like the woman in the relationship was left in the apartment while the man has opted to return to his hometown, but the former is going by the calendar and taking things day-by-day to recover although things are currently still a little tender and raw.

The music by Takahira is led by a poignancy-heavy piano, silky strings and Reiko Sada's(佐田玲子)somewhat weary vocals in a folksy arrangement. And I certainly can't forget that wailing electric guitar. There is that feeling of a sunset leading the now parted lovers into the night but also a new morning. If you have a chance, have a listen to Hakucho-za's 1982 "Yonjuu-ni Kilo no Seishun"(42キロの青春)for a different angle in their sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.