Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Tsuyoshi Kon -- Monster Mash/Chickenshack -- Godzilla on My Pillow

Good Free Photos
 

Last night, I wrote about P-Model's avant-rock "Zombi" which I found out about due to a commenter steering me to the Japanese Halloween playlist from university radio station WMUC a few days back. I'd like to throw in a couple of more songs.

One is guitarist Tsuyoshi Kon's(今剛)"Monster Mash" which has nothing to do with Bobby Pickett's novelty Halloween hit from 1962. In fact, the song is right from Kon's July 1980 solo album "Studio Cat" which I've already referenced because of my posting of the track "THINK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES". I would say that the monsters here are probably sporting silvery metal jackets and skinny ties according to Kon's rock-sided AOR.

Meanwhile on the other side of the decade, Chickenshack put out "Godzilla on My Pillow" as a track for "Chickenshack V" from 1989. Created by jazz and R&B guitarist Junshi Yamagishi(山岸潤史), the big green lizard is strutting through Roppongi on a wave of nuclear-fired funk that reminds me a fair bit of The Dazz Band. Let's Wang Chung tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.