Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 5, 2023

Pat Benatar -- You Better Run

 

It says something about how iconic MTV was when Pat Benatar's "You Better Run" has been noted on Wikipedia as the second video ever presented on the channel (above at 5:40) right after The Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star"

Here's a slightly sharper form of the music video for "You Better Run" which came out as a single in July 1980 and was my introduction to the snarly and sexy Benatar, although I've enjoyed "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" even more. As such, it was the first Benatar song to be placed as a ROY article on KKP. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it on that legendary first broadcast of MTV since we couldn't get it on our cable. Actually, I saw it on some local late-night music video show probably while my parents were out socializing one Saturday night. Listening to "You Better Run" and watching the singer strut around, I could imagine myself fleeing from the lady whenever she yelled out the title. Not someone to cross. Although "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" was a Top 10 single, "You Better Run" did more modestly by ranking in at No. 42 on America's Billboard.

I keep getting educated as I do these ROY articles about how many of these 80s classics are actually covers of earlier originals. As has been the case with "Bette Davis Eyes" and "They Don't Know", I've found out that "You Better Run" was originally recorded by the rock band The (Young) Rascals back in 1966, as something that may have preceded the whole punk craze a decade later. The original rose to No. 20 on Billboard.

Now, what was scoring in the Top 3 of Oricon in July 1980?

1. Monta & Brothers -- Dancing All Night


2. Toshihiko Tahara -- Kimi ni Kettei! (キミに決定!)


3. Shinji Tanimura -- Subaru (昴)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.