Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Ritsuko Okazaki/Masumi Asano -- Ame no Musique (雨のmusique)



I think for anyone who has listened to a lot of music over the years, there are just some songs that don't necessarily have to be classics but still immediately make an impression right through the heart. For me, it's been songs such as Yellow Magic Orchestra's "Rydeen" and Hiromi Iwasaki's(岩崎宏美) cover of "Sumire Iro no Namida"(すみれ色の涙). 

And then there is this one. I heard "Ame no Musique"(The Music of Rain) a few months ago at the house of my friend who is probably one of the big experts on anime and computer games this side of the country. Now, I've been a casual fan of bossa nova for many years, and kayo kyoku/J-Pop has often welcomed the Brazilian genre with open arms. But there was something about this song that just clicked with me as the warm melody pumped out of my buddy's very fine speakers and raised some goosebumps....always a good sign when it comes to music.

I was surprised to find out when my friend told me that this was a song from a computer game called "Symphonic Rain" which was released all the way back in 2004. I researched a bit on this game, and with some bemusement, discovered that "Ame no Musique" was the theme song for one of the nastier characters, Falsita Fawcett. Too bad, I thought, and I've yet to the hear the themes for the other characters, but I knew that this was going to be one of my personal favourites. There was something about the melody and Ritsuko Okazaki's(岡崎律子) tender delivery which did it for me. For all of her fans, it's no surprise to note that she was the one behind the lyrics and the music.

It was sad to hear, then, that Okazaki had passed away far too young at the age of 44, less than a couple of months after the release of the game. However, her 7th and final album, "For Ritz" was released posthumously in December 2004. Okazaki's version of "Ame no Musique" is on that album and is the version above. The album, which had her covering all of the character songs from "Symphonic Rain", peaked at No. 37 on Oricon.


The original version for the game was sung by the voice actress behind Falsita, Masumi Asano(浅野真澄). This version is also very nice, but I think Okazaki's self-cover will always be the one closest to my heart.

(Sept. 7 2014: I may have mistakenly switched singers with their performances. But in any case, I think both are very nice versions.)

4 comments:

  1. Very pleasant song from this delicate artist indeed. Besides, I think I should go for some of her albums to soften the ambiance when I'm in the office, waiting for the response of a f...ing server or pouring some hot coffee on my trousers (just like today...). Bossa nova is certainly a good style for letting things go their way and turning oneself into a philosopher, and Ritsuko Okazaki has such a calming voice.

    The only CD I have from her is the anime soundtrack "Four Seasons", a character song album for "Fruit Basket". Released in 2005 (so one year after her death although the anime series was produced in 2001), it was retitled "Songs for Ritsuko Okazaki" and contain some very nice and sweet songs. A very relaxing album and a piece of choice for Ritsuko Okazaki's nostalgic lovers.

    It's so sad that she has gone this early...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Le singe. It's kinda ironic that my goosebumps hit the atmosphere when I first heard it since it is such a soothing song. As for the trousers incident, I can definitely feel your pain...except that it wasn't coffee, but something far worse.:)

      I may just try and get "For Ritz" sometime later this year.

      Delete
  2. That's a very pleasant piece of music. I liked it in a strange way, as I'm not very fond of Bossa Nova. But that's an intimist kind of song that can easily be played at night after a rushed day. I don't know, it kind of made me feel that way.

    As a side note, Okazaki collaborated a lot with Megumi Hayashibara. Two of my favorite Hayashibara's songs, "Bon Voyage!" and "Good Luck!", were written and composed by her. And this delicate, fragile, and almost naive style, so typical of Okazaki, is a very remarkable characteristic of both songs. And she had such a great sense for warm melodies.

    Unfortunately she died at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think you, LeSinge and my anime friend have a lot more knowledge about her than I do currently. So, there's another well of good music that I have to tap in this area along with City Pop. :)

      I will have to give "Bon Voyage!" and "Good Luck!" a shot as well.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.