Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Yuko Kawai -- Tokyo-tique Girl (東京チーク・ガール)




I only found about this song just within the last few minutes as I was going through my Mixi (a Japanese SNS) account. One of my Mixi friends put up this song by popster Yuko Kawai(河合夕子)who had debuted in 1981. "Tokyo-tique Girl" was written and composed by Kawai, and the reason I put it up was it just had that cute and catchy Seiko-ish summery melody that I get all nostalgic about.

There is only a brief article written about her at J-Wiki, but it looks like "Tokyo-tique Girl" was her debut single, and the cover for her first album "Little Tokyo" has her looking like she does in the video above as she appeared in an episode of "Yoru no Hit Studio Deluxe". With that frizzy hair and the leopard-print shirt, she looked like a middle-aged lady walking through the Sugamo district of Tokyo (known as the Harajuku for people of a certain age), although Kawai was actually in her mid-20s at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.