Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Southern All Stars -- Erotica Seven (エロティカ・セブン)


Happy Halloween! A lot of parties going on this weekend for the scary holiday, both here and in Japan. I took a look at the live streaming camera (via YouTube) overlooking that huge intersection in front of Shibuya Station earlier this morning and saw a mass of humanity even bigger than usual for a Friday night crossing back and forth. I could identify a number of furries and at least one Captain Jack. Plus, there were even more cops...I think there were at least 10 or so at each corner. I gather that this year, the police resolved not to be overwhelmed like they were last time. We'll see...there is still Sunday night.


So I was thinking about what I could do on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" to pay tribute to Halloween. I'd already done my fair share over the past few years so I was initially stumped. But then, I remembered those scallywags from Japanese popular music, Southern All Stars (サザンオールスターズ). And Keisuke Kuwata(桑田佳祐)and company did do a video which had a slightly Halloween-esque feeling to it in that leader Kuwata at least was decked out in a Dracula outfit.


That video was for "Erotica Seven", the band's 32nd single from July 1993. I remember it well since it was the theme song for a particularly salacious J-Drama titled "Akuma no Kiss"(悪魔のKISS...The Devil's Kiss) that was shown at my university club's JTV night during a period of Wednesdays involving some women who get caught up in some rather nasty activity. And Southern All Stars were never known as subtle, so they were the right choice to come up with the theme song.


Kuwata was responsible for words and music. "Erotica Seven" is just a rollicking sex adventure in both cases as the singer describes a really good night with a lady. When I was reading through the J-Wiki entry for Southern All Stars in general, I was caught by one quote by one of the members who said that "If there ain't any sex in the lyrics, it's no good". If that was indeed SAS' philosophy, then they put it to very good use in this song and also for two other songs, a trio that Kuwata has dubbed his Three Erotic Creations.

I kinda wonder how the audience and fellow guests felt whenever Southern All Stars performed "Erotica Seven" on the music shows such as "Music Station". Did they squirm and giggle uncomfortably or did they just laugh it off easily with "Aw, that's just Southern All Stars for you"? Probably both. But there was no doubt about the band's Midas touch...the song hit No. 1 and ended up as the 4th-ranked single of 1993. In fact, the single sold over 1.8 million copies and is currently the 2nd-most successful SAS song next to "Tsunami" from 2000. In terms of the Top 100 in Oricon history, "Erotica Seven" currently occupies the 47th position (not the 69th? .... heh, heh...couldn't resist).

2 comments:

  1. Hello J-Canuck.

    Huehuehuehue, too bad for it's place on the Top 100.

    Anyway, out of all the SAS songs I've listened to, I have to admit that "Erotica Seven" is my favourite. That kooky and funky melody with a sci-fi touch really got me hooked... And with a name like "Erotica Seven" I figured it'd be one of SAS's more colourful songs. But dang, "subtle" definitely ain't the word to describe them alright.

    Halloween isn't particularly big in Singapore; there's rarely (if at all) any mass trick or treating and costume parties seem few and far in between. There is this Halloween Horror Nights event at the Universal Studios here though where the younger crowd goes to scare themselves silly. It seems that the "real Halloween" here is the "Hungry Ghost Festival/Month" which usually happens in August... Well, but that garners more fear than fun. Still, I'd love to have the chance to dress up as a Namahage - probably may inadvertently scare some kids at the Japanese Association though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Noelle.

      When I got to Tokyo in 1994, there was barely anything about Halloween except for some drunk foreigners who would hijack a train on the Yamanote Line on the 31st. Now, it's almost a national holiday! But I kinda figure Halloween's time was due since the Japanese have always been into the spooky and magical as well.

      No problems about the Namahage. I think that was their purpose with the kids. An ancient "Scared Straight" program, perhaps. For some reason, the Japanese also seem to enjoy traumatizing children with some of their rituals.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.