Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, June 16, 2019

JET LAG -- Back of my mind


Happy Father's Day to everyone! Our family took dear ol' Dad for breakfast at the nearest diner, so I'm still digesting my breakfast of sausages, potatoes and multiple cups of coffee, and this is after having lunch.

The above photo is of a cup of Viennese Coffee that I had one day during my last visit to Tokyo a few years ago. Yes, I figure that coffee connoisseurs are looking at that with the huge stratum of whipped cream and facepalming with abandon but I can gladly live with the disdain. It wasn't going down my gullet as often as Brown Cows did, but it was something that I often ordered during my days in Japan. If' I'm not mistaken, I had that particular variety at a cafe near Waseda University with some former colleagues.


A cafe Sunday...always a nice thing in Tokyo, and I think that was the case even before Starbucks and Seattle's Best Coffee came into town about 20 years ago. That's exactly the place I want to be to hear this particular song by the now-defunct group JET LAG, "Back of my mind". Unfortunately, there's very little written up about them except that they had their existence between 2000 and 2004 with "Back of my mind" coming out as their 1st mini-album in September 2000.

I couldn't even find out who was in JET LAG. But I do like "Back of my mind", and I agree with some of the various folks on various websites who describe their work as being very sunny and friendly for those cafe-inhabiting types on a weekend. The legendary singer and songwriter Carole King was used as a comparison for the sounds emanated by JET LAG, and this particular title track is enough to shoo away anything blue, outside of the sky.

Supposedly, one of the former members has gone to another band called IRIS. Not totally sure about the availability of any CDs for JET LAG, but "Back of my mind" is up on Apple Music.

A Shiro Noir from Komeda's Coffee in
Shinjuku.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.