Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Junk Fujiyama -- Mahou no Tsubuyaki(魔法のつぶやき)


A lot of happy Torontonians today. We not only have the NBA Toronto Raptors on the verge of achieving the championship for the first time in the franchise's history on Monday night, but before that, we are probably going to savor a truly early summer weekend. For folks who usually suffer from cold weather 66.6% of the year, this is manna from heaven.


Yes, indeedy. It looks like summer is finally on its way. Therefore, I will finish my quartet of articles tonight with somebody that I haven't included on the blog for a few years now, and that is singer-songwriter Junk Fujiyama(ジャンク フジヤマ).

I'm sure that I'm not alone in voicing my opinion about how much of the Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)style Junk Fujiyama has imbued into his music. Since I first heard about him back in 2014 via the anime "Space Dandy" and his summery romantic "Hoshikuzu no Pipeline"(星屑のパイプライン), I've marveled at how much of the old-time summer Japanese pops esthetic he's brought back to us. Although it looks like only his Twitter feed has been active recently, I was glad that I could find out about his 2018 single "Mahou no Tsubuyaki" (Magical Tweets).

Ironically released in December, "Mahou no Tsubuyaki" has that taste of summer with some hints of yesteryear's music, including a very subtle lick of the disco classic "The Hustle". The happy brass is provided by Fire Horns. I couldn't have asked for a nicer song to introduce the hot season into this weekend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.