Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 16, 2020

Miyako Chaki -- Maboroshi no Hito(幻の人)

 


"Maboroshi no Hito" (Mystery Man) is a May 1977 single by singer-songwriter Miyako Chaki(茶木みやこ). I've already had a few articles up for this distinctive singer but this is probably one of her most atmospheric works.


For one thing, there is that relentless rhythm with the drums and something that sounds really funky like boots walking at a syncopated beat. Then, there is that repeated synthesizer riff that sends that feeling of a mystery afoot. According to the lyrics by Toshikazu Terayama(寺山寿和), it involves a remote train station and various hints at something having happened with only the most oblique of references to the mystery man. Chaki's haunting vocals also help although from the release date of "Maboroshi no Hito", there was no intention for this to be a Halloween song (I'm not even sure whether Halloween was really celebrated all the way back then in Japan).

Adding to the mystery, at least for me, is that despite the brevity of "Maboroshi no Hito" at 2:47, it feels like a much longer song and that isn't any accusation of it having gone on too long. The arrangement, which includes a sudden feeling of happiness thanks to a guitar that sounds like a ray of sunshine breaking through the gloom, is just so filled with those sounds and Chaki's vocals that it feels like a filling and satisfying meal all done within a very short period of time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, sorry if you can't understand me, I'm using the translator.
    Only i want comment this song is so beutiful and increible. I fall in love the it first time listened.
    You could explain me what it´s about this song? Or Send me the lyrics?


    From Mexico, thank you and have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there and thanks for your comments. I don't have any of her albums with me so unfortunately I don't have any access to her lyrics (there is a brief display of the lyrics from the original single in the video but they are much too small for me to see). However, as I mentioned above, it apparently has something to do with a mystery man and a remote train station. Sorry that I can't give a better explanation.

      All the best to you in Mexico!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.