Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, November 30, 2020

Crazy Ken Band -- Ah, Yaru Tok'ya Yaranakya Dame nano.(あ、やるときゃやらなきゃダメなのよ。)

 

On the night before the final month of 2020, even though it's a Monday, it might be nice to have something a little happy and party-like especially during these uncertain times when we have to stay apart.

At this point in my life, I can only fantasize about what a Crazy Ken Band(クレイジーケンバンド)concert or even a Crazy Ken Band soiree must be like, but I'm fairly sure that it isn't boring. Just find some live house in Shibuya or Shimo-Kitazawa and the joint will be hopping with Ken Yokoyama(横山剣)and the guys down there. 

That's the impression that I get especially listening to CKB's coupling song, "Ah, Yaru Tok'ya Yaranakya Dame nano." from their 7th single "Amai Hibi"(甘い日々...Sweet Days) released in February 2003. I can translate it directly as "You Gotta Do It When It's Time to Do It" but the English title for the song is apparently "Ah Means I Love You". This is another one of those tunes that I can't simply stamp with the Pop label; there is just too much going on. I can pick up on some jazz here and some doo-wop (it actually reminds me of "We Go Together" from the movie "Grease") there. But as written and composed by Crazy Ken himself, I think it's just made for live performance when the audience is ready for some good ol' happy fun.

But I gotta admit that seeing what looks like the cast from an NHK kids' show popping up on the stage with the Crazy Ken Band is something that really lands in from left field. Should some of those kids have been up so late? Doesn't matter...it's a fun song! The single itself reached as high as No. 24 and "Ah, Yaru Tok'ya Yaranakya Dame nano." managed to get included on CKB's June 2003 album "777" which peaked at No. 14 on the charts.

2 comments:

  1. Great song, I love Yokoyama Ken. I hope one day I'll be able to catch a live show over there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, Ragnar! Hopefully, we'll all have a chance to head back to Japan once this COVID horror is finally over.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.