Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 27, 2020

JADOES -- Summer Lady

 

Let's see...of all the leading figures for City Pop on this side of the Pacific Ocean, Rocket Brown has attended a few of those City Pop dance parties while Van Paugam has created some of those parties everywhere. I haven't had the chance to do either, but it would be interesting to drop in if such a fete were ever to be organized in my neck of the woods here in Canada. Mind you, I'd be keenly observing from a strategically placed vantage point in the venue instead of shaking my booty on the floor (don't think they use that expression anymore).

Certainly, I wouldn't ever advise a DJ for a City Pop party what should be placed on the playlist unless he/she asked. At this point, I think that the host would be more than knowledgeable about the various songs from the genre, but if I were ever asked, JADOES' "Summer Lady" would be a pretty nice choice.

Straight from the band's July 1987 2nd album "Free Drink" which also has "Roku-gatsu no Photograph"(6月のフォトグラフ)and "Hot Melody", "Summer Lady" has got the right seasonal vibes including some of that Kadomatsu spice and a dang splendid trumpet solo. It's just the thing that we would need for a chilly November as well as a City Pop dance party. Yui Masaki(真沙木唯)took care of the lyrics and vocalist Hideki Fujisawa(藤沢秀樹)provided the funky music (the stereo on this copy is plenty good at the start).

I heard from Rocket last week that there was a City Pop dance party near his area with social distancing rules in effect. Heck, that's wonderful and all that, but I'm hoping that sometime into 2021, the whole she-bang will be back in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.