Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, November 12, 2020

FREEASY BEATS -- Harewataru Sora(晴れ渡る空)

 


Out of curiosity, I was taking a browse through the Japanese-language "90s City Pop Record Book" to see if I could find something nifty and urban contemporary when I encountered this duo called FREEASY BEATS. Not a whole lot of information about them there or on J-Wiki aside from their discography (although their website is more generous), but they are a duo of brothers, Ryo and Taku, hailing from Kawagoe City in Saitama Prefecture.


For brothers coming from a landlocked prefecture north of Tokyo, FREEASY BEATS sure have that free-and-easy chillout attitude of life along the coast. Well, considering how torrid Saitama gets in the summer, I don't blame them for racing to Shonan and hitting the waves.

But Ryo and Taku are musical performers and FREEASY BEATS started out in 2005. For tonight, I have one of their songs "Harewataru Sora" (The Clearing Sky), a track from their July 2008 mini-album "Wave Side of FREEASY BEATS". One commenter on YouTube inquired about what kind of music these guys were singing to, and I have to admit that I was thinking about that for a bit. It's great summery stuff, and the singer that I was reminded of the most was Bird via songs such as "Life" which has that mixture of Latin and R&B with dance beats and the mellowness of AOR.

The brothers were also responsible for words and music, and just now, I could even pick up on some jazz during that keyboard solo. Certainly that music video is very inviting for a drive down to the beach. I had been pretty sleepy up to the point that I found the video but as soon as I played it, my brain and eyes suddenly got that lift. Wouldn't mind investigating these two some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.