Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Kyoko Suga -- Kocchi e Oide(こっちへおいで)

 

Back in September, I wrote about singer-songwriter Kyoko Suga(須賀響子)who had a short-lived career in the mid-1990s and found her "LOVE, TWO LOVE" a spritely and pleasant five minutes of pop.

Well, I found another number by her via her 3rd album "Love Potion"(ラブ・ポーション)released in December 1995. "Kocchi e Oide" (Come Here) was indeed written and composed by Suga as a love song involving a guy bringing his girlfriend to a secret place at the top of a skyscraper providing a wonderful view of the night sky. The interesting thing about this track is that I gather that Suga was inspired by the late Eiichi Ohtaki's(大瀧詠一)melodies. Listening to how the song progressed, I was gradually reminded of one ballad that the songwriter had provided to Seiko Matsuda(松田聖子), "Kaze Tachinu"(風立ちぬ)

It certainly has the grandeur of an Ohtaki tune but I think "LOVE, TWO LOVE" comes off as the smoother of the two that I've heard by Suga. However, as has often been the case, maybe "Kocchi e Oide" will come to grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.