Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 6, 2020

Steely Dan -- Peg

 

I remember when an old friend of mine at university went out with a bunch of other buddies for a drink at a nearby bar, and he was still finding his sea legs when it came to drinking stuff. So, he browsed through the drink menu in the cocktail section since up to then, he apparently had only gone with beer and wine. Then, close to heading home time, he hit something called Long Island Iced Tea and wanted to give that a shot (no pun intended). I didn't know anything about it since I was pretty much connected at the liver to my Brown Cow.

My friend drank it down and he drank it down quickly. He proclaimed it was so very tasty and smooth and if it hadn't been for the fact that it came in an unusually tall highball glass, he would have gone for a second. Well, not too long after that, when we were on the subway, he was doing everything except standing or sitting down. It was fortunate that we had our section of the subway to ourselves because he was as high as a kite and acting like one; luckily, the ceiling kept him from achieving orbit. Even luckier was that one of our other friends was willing to drive him home since he didn't live too far away. I don't know what happened after that but I assume that he got to know his toilet even more intimately the next morning. But we both found out how deceptively potent a Long Island Iced Tea was and still is.😉

Now, let's think about one of Steely Dan's famous songs, "Peg". I think it is the equivalent of a Long Island Iced Tea. Indeed for all of their fans, it is truly tasty and smooth, but according to the history of the making of this prize tune, if I were to further analogize with the best version of the famous cocktail, it would call for not only the best of each ingredient: vodka, tequila, light rum, triple sec, gin, and a splash of cola according to Wikipedia, but also the ones that would work with each other in harmony. So, maybe Belvedere is the best luxury vodka available but for mixing into a Long Island Iced Tea, perhaps Tito's is the one to have, and so on. Try juggling all those ingredients to make the ultimate version.

And apparently that's how hard it was for Donald Fagen and Walter Becker and some of the best studio musicians to come up with "Peg" which was released as a Steely Dan single back in November 1977. Yet, it sounds so groovy and effortlessly catchy (I was grooving again with my shoulders when I heard it a few minutes ago). But through various sources such as YouTube and Wikipedia, I realized that there was the whole thing about the right guitar solo (ultimately achieved by Jay Graydon), how many other musicians were put in and out the revolving door to get the correct combination to play "Peg" to the band's satisfaction, and the certain special chords involved. For the nearly four minutes of pure SD pleasure, everyone probably had to go through some even more major wringers for days or weeks. Such were the famous demands of Fagen and Becker.

I heard "Peg" on the radio of course all the time but the first time I encountered it was, strangely enough, through a TV commercial for some vocational school in Buffalo, New York when I was a teen. I couldn't remember any of the other music that had been playing in the first part of the ad, but then there came the push for dance classes, and suddenly the opening seconds of "Peg" came on. And suddenly, the ad had my full undivided attention as the leotard-wearing kids started to dance to the song.


Ironically though, it wouldn't be until my years in Japan that I finally started purchasing Steely Dan's back catalogue of albums, and it all started from watching a Japanese IBM commercial featuring the ThinkPad and Donald Fagen's "I.G.Y." from his 1982 solo album "The Nightfly". And once I got that one, I just had to start collecting SD CDs. Ultimately, I did get "Aja", the September 1977 album that has "Peg". In Canada, the single peaked at No. 7 on the RPM charts while in the United States, it hit No. 11 on Billboard

Of course, taking that full dive into City Pop in the last few years of my stint in Tokyo, I and many other City Pop fans have discovered how much Steely Dan has influenced the singers and bands of the genre in terms of their output. Therefore, instead of putting up the usual Oricon leaders or music prize winners of that time, for this ROY article, I will list merely a few of the many songs that contain the Steely Dan DNA.

1. Makoto Matsushita -- Lazy Night (1981)



2. Akira Inoue -- Bartok no Kage(バルトークの影)(1982)



3. Mariya Takeuchi -- Plastic Love (1984)


4. Blue Peppers -- Searchlight(サーチライト)(2017)



Oh, and before I forget...



3 comments:

  1. Excellent post J. That story fits pretty well within the context of Aja (Black Cow), considered by many to be their masterpiece album and for good reasons. It's been speculated that those failed guitar solo attempts on Peg were from none other than Walter Becker (RIP) as they match his guitar sound and style. Walter was more of a bassist at that time and his guitar playing was very blues-centric which conflicted with the atmosphere they were going for with Peg. I'm sure many a musician wishes they could've been a fly on the wall during those studio sessions.

    Anyhow, I'm digging that Makoto Matsushita track. The Akira Inoue track is blatant plagiarism of Josie, right down to Chuck Rainey's bass line. Quite nervy I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michael and thanks. I do love "Aja" and I've definitely fallen for "Deacon Blues" on the album. As for "Peg", I can imagine Becker and Fagen going through their guitarists' rolodex to try out everyone.

      If you are annoyed by Inoue pilfering "Josie", then you should have a gander at Yoko Oginome's "Shonen no Saigo no Natsu"(少年の最後の夏...A Boy's Last Summer) from her "246 Connexion" album which basically stole Level 42's riff from "Lessons In Love". Annoyed me to no end for years.

      https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2016/11/yoko-oginome-246-connexion-246.html

      Delete
  2. Doesn't surprise me. That sort of stuff happens all the time. Good artists know how to conceal their influences, at least to the point where there's an appreciable difference.

    For instance, Sho Wada (和田唱) from the group Triceratops composed 「ただいまの魔法」 for Kaede (Negicco) and it uses a very similar harmonic riff to 'What a Fool Believes', composed by Michael McDonald & Kenny Loggins. So you could say that Sho's song took influence from the latter without being blatant plagiarism.

    For those curious to listen, here you go.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcC5pwUmOpg

    'Steal Away' by Robbie Dupree inverted the harmonic phrasing of 'What a Fool Believes' and even tries to emulate McDonald's signature sound. Another song which liberally lifts McDonald's harmonic phrasing comes from Brazilian artist Rita Lee, with her MPB hit 'Lanca Perfume'.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.