Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Hikaru Genji -- GIRL!GIRL!GIRL!

The above is a photo from the Tokyo Anime Fair that I attended back in 2009. When I got to Tokyo Big Sight that morning, there was an anaconda-like line waiting to get in, and I thought that there was no way that I was going to enter the place, but when it did open, the snake got sucked in rapidly so within 15 minutes, I could waltz on in. It does remind me that there is the Toronto Fan Expo happening right now downtown so I'm wondering how that's doing.

It's been a good long while since I put up an article on the one-and-only Hikaru Genji(光GENJI), one of the premier Johnny's Entertainment groups of the late 1980s. Hadn't realized that they lasted all the way to 1995 since I always saw them as a group for the previous decade. But indeed, there was their October 1991 7th album "Victory".

After listening to the track "GIRL!GIRL!GIRL!" a few times now, I am a little surprised that this actually hadn't been released as a single or even used as a theme song for a comedy-drama. Written by Mayumi Hara(原真弓)and composed by Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司), this is Hikaru Genji in old-time show tune form. The guys are gushing about all of the different types of women out there and it all plays as if the group were trying to emulate the Takarazuka Revue in their level of panache.

"Victory" was another victory for Hikaru Genji since it hit No. 3 on the charts. There were also some pretty big names on instruments such as Jake H. Concepcion on sax, Jun Aoyama(青山純)on drums, and Shin Kazuhara(数原晋)on trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.