Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Pink Lady -- Asa made Odorou(朝まで踊ろう)

 

I gotta say that being an old viewer of the 1960s sitcoms, I was tickled pink on seeing this YouTube video compilation by Retro TV Central from 2012 since it had all of those familiar characters from my childhood cutting up several rugs to "Keep On Dancing" by the American rock n' roll band The Gentrys in 1965. According to the Wikipedia article for the song created by Allen A. Jones, Andrew Love and Richard Shann, "Keep On Dancing" had been originally recorded by the R&B group The Avantis in 1963, but apparently, The Gentrys were the guys to popularize it. 

Regardless, although I knew about Barbara Feldon's and Elizabeth Montgomery's prowess on their gams, it was nice to see good folks like The Addams Family, Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore and Lucille Ball go loose on the floor. Of course, Batman couldn't be left out doing his Batusi!

Now the reason that I've unearthed the tremendously happy-happy-joy-joy "Keep On Dancing" is that I found a Japanese-language cover version of the song done by Pink Lady(ピンク・レディー), "Asa made Odorou" (Dance Til Morning) which was included on the iconic duo's first studio album "Pepper Keibu"(ペッパー警部)released in January 1977. With Japanese lyrics by Fumiko Okada(岡田富美子), it's still plenty of fun to hear with Mie and Kei behind the microphone.

I see that the original also got its release in Japan!

1 comment:

  1. Morning, Brian. I had no idea about "Asa made Odorou" at all since I'd never seen it performed on TV, so this was quite the revelation to me.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.