Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Mayumi Itsuwa -- Tokei(時計)

 

Listening to a Mayumi Itsuwa(五輪真弓)song, especially going into the 1980s, is like watching any heavily dramatic European movie. It's beautiful but also very lonely at the same time. Although it's just my ears that collect all of the information through tones and vocals, I still imagine a big "FIN" in my head at the end of the tune.

That's no different with "Tokei" (The Watch), the 25th single by Itsuwa released in October 1983. Written and composed by the singer, even on seeing that simple title, I knew that there was going to be a lot more going on than just imagining a Rolex or a Timex. And sure enough, the watch in question (no brand name identified) is on the wrist of a man who's sitting with who I assume is a female friend in their favourite café. She's staring at the watch, counting away the seconds before he ultimately leaves the place and presumably her forever for a significant other. The problem is that she had feelings for him that she could never express and now it's too late. Melancholy and ennui ensure. FIN.

It may not be the happiest song but the music by Itsuwa is tenderheartedly poignant. I simply cannot imagine myself in Japan with this one; instead it's some small neighbourhood coffeehouse on the outskirts of Paris or another French city. And the weather is gloomy outside. FIN.

3 comments:

  1. Not quite sure, but I would like to try the coffee there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I do like my coffee. I think Japan has cornered the market on Blue Mountain, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I began drinking coffee when I started university. Had to drink it with sugar and cream, too, since I wasn't used to the bitterness, but in the last twenty years, I've been able to handle it without the sugar. Must have the cream, though.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.