Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Anamanaguchi feat. Miku Hatsune -- Miku

 


I think I was still attending the currently semi-annual Fan Expo events in 2016 when Vocaloid icon Miku Hatsune(初音ミク)made her way to Toronto for a big concert. Generally, I don't do concerts since I'm about as expressive as the Canadian Shield at most social events (aside from snarky remarks), and therefore I have assumed that I would be a terrific buzzkill to those standing or sitting around me. Still, I did wonder about seeing Miku in action with my own eyes and I'm glad that someone had the foresight to get some footage of her Toronto appearance.


May 2016 was when Miku got to sing her own self-titled song, "Miku", as concocted by the chiptune pop/rock band Anamanaguchi from New York City. Catchy as all get out, the melody and the delivery both scream out MIKU literally and figuratively, and maybe the only thing that was missing was her stalk of green onion in the music video. I did read about the seemingly more sinister end at the Vocaloid Wiki which reminded me of Sting's take on "Every Breath You Take" as more of a stalker's obsessive focus on someone rather than a dear romance. I guess if there were ever a Miku Hatsune suspense-horror flick, "Miku" would be just the theme song.

Not sure if this record has been broken but also according to the Vocaloid Wiki, "Miku" currently has the record of most YouTube views for a chiptune song as of 2018. As of today, the above video has at least 56 million views.

2 comments:

  1. If you are into classical concerts I think you might fit in there. But, anyway, I doubt much if any of the audience is paying attention to anyone other than the person on stage. Take that with a grain of salt as I too have not been to a concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I'm not into classical music...at least, not enough for me to attend a recital. Someone had asked me recently whether I would go to the Atarashii Gakko no Leaders gig in October here. I like the group and their spunk but I probably won't.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.