Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, June 3, 2024

Ichiro Fujiyama -- Asakusa no Uta(浅草の唄)

 

This has been called the oldest underground mall in Tokyo. Japan's capital is one of many cities in the country that has a plethora of underground malls so it's something to hear that the network of restaurants, bars and other shops below the traditional quarter of Asakusa is the oldest. And it's one place that I walked through many times during my two years working at the NOVA branch there in the 1990s.

Over the weekend, NHK showed one of its documentaries focusing on the Asakusa Underground, and I was surprised/not surprised that it hadn't changed one iota in the past thirty years. The subterranean community still looks very earthy, grungy and grimy. I still remember the combined smell of oil, soy sauce and most likely sweat whenever I walked through the place to get to the other side of the street without having to wait at the intersection for the signal to change to green.

Apparently, there have been two different kayo kyoku titled "Asakusa no Uta" (Asakusa Song): one from the prewar era and one after the war. The one I'm posting about here today is the 1947 version recorded by veteran Ichiro Fujiyama(藤山一郎). Written by Hachiro Sato(サトウ ハチロー)and composed by Tadashi Manjome(万城目正), Fujiyama sings "Asakusa no Uta" in his characteristic jaunty style as he describes the hustle and bustle and the million stories that have been told in the venerable neighbourhood. I'm sure the Underground has a good chunk of those stories, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind a silver dish of that yakisoba made down there.

By the way, I did post on another Asakusa-themed kayo kyoku back in 2016 titled "Asakusa Shimai"(浅草姉妹)by the Komadori Shimai(こまどり姉妹).

4 comments:

  1. Did you get to work around Asakusa!? If you did you are sure lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was teaching literally around the corner from Kaminarimon for a couple of years at NOVA there. I enjoyed my time since it was a new and small branch so there was definitely a family feeling among the teachers and regular students.

      Delete
  2. I envy you! You visited Japan in the showa period, came back to work in the early Heisei period, and got to work in some cool/iconic locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did get to work and live there in both Showa and Heisei. Even more interestingly, I was there before, during and after the Bubble era.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.