Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 8, 2024

the chef cooks me -- Saishin Sekai Xīnxīnxiāngyìn(最新世界心心相印)

 

Welcome to the first full weekend of June 2024. It's not too warm or too cool out there so we're in the ideal Goldilocks zone of temperature. Hope your weekend has gotten off to a good start.

Scott from the J-Xmas-based podcast "Holly Jolly X'masu" was the one who first put me onto the band the chef cooks me a couple of years ago. Though I couldn't find their contribution to Xmas on YouTube, I was intrigued enough by Ryo "simoryo" Shimomura's(下村亮介)eclectic group (starting with that band name) to post up a couple of songs by them.

Recently, I came across them again via another song that they had placed as a track in a split CD mini-album "Tidings One" released in December 2016. Apparently, they shared track space with the musical duo Turntable Films with two songs each. For the chef cooks me, one contribution was the track "Saishin Sekai Xīnxīnxiāngyìn"(最新世界心心相印). Trying to find out how to pronounce those last four kanji which I guessed were Mandarin was a pretty arduous undertaking but I finally used Google Translate's Mandarin to English function to find out. If I'm not mistaken, it means "Latest World Heart-to-Heart" (please let me know if any of you have a better translation).

The music video, created by AC-bu, is just as weird and wonderful as the title and I was left wondering where it was going second-by-second. That's the way to keep those eyeballs focused on the video. 

There will always be YouTube music enthusiasts who have better and more specialized insights into songs than I do, and Baka Broadcast gave his own opinion on "Saishin Sekai Xīnxīnxiāngyìn" back in 2020. He was somewhat split on the song although I feel that he was tending toward the Like side of the fence; part of the reason was that he felt that the melody hewed a bit too closely to Gen Hoshino's(星野源)massive hit "Koi"(恋)which had been released only a few months before the chef cooks me's own tune. To be honest, I only caught the slight similarity when Baka Broadcast made the point itself. I actually compared it more to what one commenter had said: more along the lines of Sakanaction(サカナクション). I even thought about TECHNOBOYS PULCRAFT GREEN-FUND as I was listening to "Saishin Sekai Xīnxīnxiāngyìn". Personally, the similarity strikes me more as a coincidence than anything else but again, feel free to check out the links for all the artists that I've mentioned in this paragraph and come up with your own opinions.

P.S. For some bizarre reason, Facebook won't allow me to post this song since it apparently goes against their policies. I've asked them for a reason. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you did since someone at Facebook obviously didn't. Still waiting for an explanation from them.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.