Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Every Little Thing -- jump

 

Wow! I guess it's been quite a while since I posted my most recent Every Little Thing article. In fact, that article was for their "Every Best Single +3" BEST compilation all the way back in June 2020

Additionally, I noted in that article that I would have to cover some of their material going into the 2000s. That's what I am doing today with their 19th single "jump", from October 2001. I remember hearing quite a bit of it back in the day, probably through the music video channels and covers of it on the popular celebrity karaoke program "The Yoru mo Hippare"(The 夜もヒッパレ). I'd assumed that it was made into a theme song for some J-Drama but actually it was a campaign jingle for a Kanebo cosmetic.

"jump", which was written and composed by vocalist Kaori Mochida(持田香織), always sounded a little different from their earlier hits, and perhaps that was true for their 21st-century material. The 90s part of their discography was more synthpop but listening to "jump", I realized that the song goes a bit more into rock and even Mochida's vocals get a little more growly here. The song was another Top 10 hit for Every Little Thing, by peaking at No. 7, going Gold. It also appeared on ELT's "Many Pieces" album released in March 2003 which hit No. 1 and became the 19th-ranked album for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.