Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Towa Tei -- GBI (German Bold Italic)

 

When I threw in the term "German Bold Italic" into the Bing AI art generator just now, the above is what I got. So, does that mean if I'd thrown in "British Bold Italic", I would have gotten Henry Cavill?

YOU WILL LIKE MY SENSE OF STYLE!

Well, uh, yeah. To be honest, I didn't even realize that it was Kylie Minogue in that skimpy bikini swishing around in the bubble bath above, pretending to be the personification of the supposed typeface. I've seen her more in the occasional guest appearances on TV/movies such as "Doctor Who" and that earthquake disaster movie with The Rock, but of course, the first time I heard of her was back in the late 1980s when she was a teen Eurobeat singer with hits such as "I Should Be So Lucky". In fact, I was talking with commenter Spooky under Marcos V's Alyssa Milano article the other day about Kylie and mentioned that I was planning to write up an article on this particular song in the coming days.

Spooky's no fan of Kylie and I really only know her for "I Should Be So Lucky" so it was with some surprise that I discovered this "City Limits"-worthy music video of her September 1997 collaboration with musician Towa Tei called "GBI (German Bold Italic)". And as Kylie in a kimono does a walkabout on the streets of Tokyo and New York City, she makes her best impression of Marilyn Monroe (as HAL 9000) breathily expressing her advantages as a brand spanking new typeface. To add to her feathery vocals, there is the weightiness of Haruomi Hosono's(細野晴臣)gravelly voice to the all-round swinging and minimalist technopop arrangement. If the Australian singer wanted to break away from Eurobeat, she did it here.

"GBI" is a track on Tei's 2nd studio album "Sound Museum" which also has his take on Hall & Oates' classic "Private Eyes".

On that Wikipedia article for "GBI", I read that the sample used in the intro comes from "The Art of Belly Dancing" (1969). If I'm not mistaken, it was also used for Tei's old trio Deee-Lite's "Groove is in the Heart" from several years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.