Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Southern All Stars -- Koi no Boogie Woogie Night(恋のブギウギナイト)

 

During my years living in the Tokyo area, my friends and I had walked through the famous or infamous Kabukicho district in Shinjuku in the day and at night. Once, I even walked through the shuttered streets of the area all by myself in the early afternoon since those establishments had more nocturnal business. I remember getting stared at by a few unsavory types and thinking "This will be the last time I stroll on this particular laneway!". 

Although over the years, I've heard students telling me that they try not to go through the area beyond a certain prime-time hour, I've actually walked through Kabukicho at around midnight and it wasn't too bad. There are probably neighborhoods in Toronto and other major cities around the world that are far more dangerous, but obviously one has to keep one's wits about them such as not following the tuxedoed tout into the mystery bar unless one has a major desire to lose a lot of stuff such as money.

Fuji-TV has been showing a comedy-drama established in Kabukicho over the past few months. In fact, according to J-Wiki, it's supposed to be wrapping up tonight. "Shinjuku Yasen Byouin" (新宿野戦病院...Shinjuku Field Hospital) is all about the hijinks and drama of operating a medical facility within one of Japan's wildest neighborhoods, and considering that I first translated the title as "Shinjuku MASH", I was wondering whether there would be the droll humour of the the legendary movie and TV series in America. Probably not.

For something like "Shinjuku Yasen Byouin", the theme song and the band behind it would have to be things that would fit the unfurled chaos and fascination of not only the show but also of Kabukicho. Of course, it would be Southern All Stars(サザンオールスターズ)and their 7th digital single "Koi no Boogie Woogie Night" (Boogie Woogie Night of Love) which was released in June 2024. It's been categorized with the genres of rock, disco and EDM, but for me, I think it's more with funk and pop along with the synths.

Watching the music video, it's pure SAS...Keisuke Kuwata's(桑田佳祐)sultry coolness as the MC of the proceedings along with plenty of sex appeal. He could be the King of Kabukicho himself and the video reflects the area from all angles: traditional, modern, gaudy, straitlaced, sexy. The two stars of "Shinjuku Yasen Byouin" even show up to dance a bit. 

"Koi no Boogie Woogie Night" peaked at No. 3 on Oricon's digital single chart. Although I don't think Kabukicho has ever needed any help in gathering a lot of tourism, I kinda wonder whether the drama has gotten more tourists to see what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.