Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Taeko Ohnuki -- Samba de Mar



When I was commenting on Marcos V's list of Carnaval-themed songs back in late February, I also mentioned about a song by Taeko Ohnuki (大貫妙子)with a similar beat titled "Samba de Mar". Unfortunately, the YouTube link has apparently been rendered useless since then, but luckily I have found another video.

"Samba de Mar" is another track from Ohnuki's 5th album from 1981, "Aventure". Written and composed by the singer and arranged by Ryuichi Sakamoto(坂本龍一), it's a bit of Brazilian fun in the sun filtered through technopop. As I mentioned to Marcos, it's pretty straightforward until the last minute or so when it seems as if Ohnuki, Sakamoto and the rest of the production staff got slightly punch drunk in the studio and decided to throw the whole song onto a warp engine. I was dumbfounded and annoyed at first but I've gotten accustomed to the whimsy at the end. And she does make up for it with the lovely "la mer, la ciel" also from the same album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.