Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Keiko Mizukoshi -- Tokyo ga Suki (東京が好き)




The only song that I've known by Keiko Mizukoshi(水越けいこ)was the peppy "Hoho ni Kiss Shite"(ほほにキスをして)which kinda fell into my impression of what French pop sounded like. I've been meaning to find out a bit more about this particular singer-songwriter, and I think I have found a hook with this other song that I've discovered by her.

"Tokyo ga Suki" (I Love Tokyo) also seems to have a bit of that Gallic feeling as well but in a more mature and "sadder but wiser" sense. This was a track on her 3rd album "Aquarius" from 1979, and as that fellow blogger for the Japanese-language "Music Avenue" has put it, it's quite the chic tune about an embittered woman following the end of a romance, although she insists that she still loves her Tokyo (methinks that the cad brought her and then dumped her in the Big Sushi). The author, kaz-shin, feels that "Tokyo ga Suki" is perhaps the best track on "Aquarius"; I would love to find that out for myself if I can purchase the album.

Mizukoshi wrote and composed the wistful song, and perhaps I can place it in that rarefied genre known as Fashion Music which was coined by the media during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Plus I gather that I can indeed place Mizukoshi then with some of these other ennui-laden songstresses such as Asami Kado(門あさ美)and Ruiko Kurahashi(倉橋ルイ子). With "Tokyo ga Suki", she can just lie herself down onto that chaise longue and guzzle down those multiple martinis while cursing her ex-lover.

August 6th 2020: Have a listen to the cover by Miyuki Kosaka (小坂みゆき).

Yup, I love Tokyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.