Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Kiyotaka Sugiyama & Omega Tribe -- Silent Romance



I guess this would be my annual contribution to Omega Tribe (オメガトライブ)....certainly I don't mean this as any slight to the mellow band, but it just happens that my last article about them was written a little over a year ago.

But hey, at least I've got this summery band here at the right time. It was pretty darn hot and steamy today in T.O. and it looks like we're gonna have another mini-heat wave for the bulk of this week. Let's see if I can cool things off a bit at least on this page with this Omega Tribe song during Kiyotaka Sugiyama's(杉山清隆)time with the band.

"Silent Romance" is the final track on the band's 2nd album, "River's Island" which was released back in March 1984...I do love that cover, by the way. As that fuzzy silhouette hints, the J-Wiki article on the album stated that the title was indeed referring to New York City, specifically Manhattan.

The article also mentioned that the album was focused on a more metropolitan setting as compared to Omega Tribe's first album which went more for the beach. And "Silent Romance" has that City Pop feeling with Chinfa Kan(康珍化)providing the lyrics and Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司)composing the song about love potentially being lost amid the whirlwind of a party in swanky urban surroundings. If I had a set of keys thrown at me on a table by my significant other, yeah, I would take that as a bad sign.

For a final track, "Silent Romance" is a bit of a surprise since it isn't a pure ballad despite the sad lyrics; it's quite an uptempo track to finish off the album. But with Sugiyama's vocals, the urban sax and Hayashi's mellow melody, it's certainly a good ol' Omega Tribe tune. "River's Island" by the way peaked at No. 3 on Oricon. Plus, the album also has the band's 3rd single "Kimi no Heart wa Marine Blue"(君のハートはマリンブルー).

Shibuya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.