Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, August 14, 2017

angela -- Zenryoku☆Summer!(全力☆Summer!)/ Sumire Uesaka -- Odore! Kyūkyoku Tetsugaku(踊れ!きゅーきょく哲学)


I suggested this one to my anime buddy but he politely declined the comedy "Aho Girl"(アホガール...Idiot Girl) since in my speculation, he thinks it's just too aho. Ironically, two of the seiyuu here are Aoi Yūki(悠木碧)and Yoko Hikasa(日笠陽子)who are playing two of the heroic kickass warriors right now in the latest of the "Symphogear" franchise which my buddy and I are indeed seeing. However, in another universe, Yūki and Hikasa are playing completely opposite types here: the former playing the Aho Girl herself, twin-tailed Yoshiko Hanabatake, and Hikasa playing her borderline psychotic gold-digging mother, Yoshie.


This is completely out of left field, but if Peter and Meg Griffin from "Family Guy" ever took in a Japanese exchange student into their Quahog, Rhode Island home, Yoshiko would be the perfect candidate. Much international hilarity would ensue. I would be slightly worried about how their neighbour Quagmire would "welcome" the Aho Girl, but then again she has that singular ability to wrap anyone around her pinkie, in spite/because of her density.


For all of the zaniness that takes place in an average episode of "Aho Girl", it would make sense for the theme songs to be just as zany. So, allow me to introduce them both here. The opening theme is "Zenryoku☆Summer!" (Full Power☆Summer!) is probably a musical equivalent to Yoshiko's bats-in-her-belfry mind. A little bit of Tito Puente Latin jazz here, some "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" there, even some enka thrown in for good measure, and general crazy circus everywhere.

The song was written and composed and performed by the band angela consisting of atsuko and KATSU, a duo that has been around since 1993 although their first single didn't come out until 2003"Zenryoku☆Summer!" is their 26th single from July 2017. The song managed to peak at No. 29 on Oricon, and vocalist atsuko gets my respect for her vocal gymnastics including her warp speed delivery at the beginning and her enka tribute in a couple of parts.


The ending theme is a bit more straight-line but just as exciting. In fact, it kinda harkens back to the old disco days, and with that male chorus in there, "Odore! Kyūkyoku Tetsugaku" (Dance! Extreme Philosophies) had me thinking of an old Morning Musume(モーニング娘。)number. In fact, I also remembered "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by Frankie Valli at the same time.

Sumire Uesaka(上坂すみれ), who also has a role in "Aho Girl" as the supposedly no-nonsense Public Morals Chairwoman (despite the scary title, she is a student), takes on this one. From what I've heard of some of her other songs performed live, she does love the male fan participation so this one is right up her alley. There is no dedicated ending credits sequence at the end of each episode so it's hard to hear the song while the insanity is progressing....just means further incentive to buy the song.

"Odore! Kyūkyoku Tetsugaku" is Uesaka's 8th single also released at about the same time as the opening theme. It was able to get as high as No. 12 on Oricon. The band Gesshoku Kaigi(月蝕會議)wrote and composed the song with Uesaka also writing the lyrics.


I'd say that both theme songs are almost as catchy as my favourite anison of the year so far, the delectable "Aozora no Rhapsody"(青空のラプソディ)by fhana. Strangely enough, these will be among my favourite themes from a show that I will probably won't catch in its first run. YouTube will have to do for now until I get the DVDs.

2 comments:

  1. Angela is great - I was able to catch them live at Anime Expo this year, and I think they stole the show. I was going to give "Aho Girl" a miss originally, but I think I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ragnar.

      Yep, I heard that angela even performed once at the Fan Expo in Toronto one year. Would be interesting to see them come by again. As for "Aho Girl", I guess it would depend on how much "aho" one can take in an episode. :) With the number of YouTube videos popping up, though, I may not need to access Crunchyroll or buy the DVDs.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.