Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Momoe Yamaguchi -- Sentimental Hurricane (センチメンタル・ハリケーン)


Man, I really should be trying to get a copy of Momoe Yamaguchi's(山口百恵)"LA Blue" from 1979. I wrote an article on this atypical album by her years back but my interest has sprung up once more after listening to the following.


This is another track from the album titled "Sentimental Hurricane". Strange title aside, it's Yamaguchi showing some smooth City Pop/AOR chops of the period. Plus, being an old disco fan, the opening Latin beat reminded me of Barry Manilow's "Copacabana". It's one of those songs that makes me wonder what it must have been like to walk down the streets of Tokyo back in the late 1970s. West Shinjuku, we really need to meet again!

In that tribute to the works of lyricist Keisuke Yamakawa(山川啓介)the other day, I mentioned that I wanted to give some other songs their own articles. Well, I gave one to Eikichi Yazawa(矢沢永吉)and "Sentimental Hurricane" is the other one. Tatsushi Umegaki(梅垣達志)was the composer behind this hot and sultry number.

Well, the search begins anew!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing this great song.
    I also need a copy of this album ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nagaregumo.

      Try to track one down fast. I think it's indeed one of those rare things. It's indeed quite a different animal compared to some of the other Momoe albums.

      BTW, I'm not sure if you saw an article I wrote up in early July but take a look at it and if you're interested let me know. :)

      http://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.ca/2017/07/the-first-j-canuck.html

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you, I missed this post!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.